Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Red Bay, AL











Well, I've been so lazy since we've been in Pennsylvania this year. Or maybe I just have tunnel vision. We made this appointment a long time ago to take the motor home to Red Bay, AL, to get some warranty work done. It was SO hot and humid there. I stepped out of the RV this morning, and you can see how immediately my camera lens fogged up! The last picture was taken looking to the rear of our coach (on the right). I wiped the lens off and took the other two pictures.
Tiffin Motor Homes is a big industry in this tiny town, and they treat their customers great. It's impressive to look down the rows and see all the motor homes parked there, awaiting service. We had full hookups with 50 amp service and wifi, which didn't work about 75% of the time! Anyway, they are very efficient and we had 7 windows in the rv replaced, plus various and sundry little problems which they also fixed, all done before noon on Tuesday! Since our coach is out of warranty (the problems were all documented prior to the end of the warranty), we had to pay $10 a night. Still, that's pretty cheap for full hookups.
Red Bay is a nice little southern town. Everyone knows everyone else and they're all friendly. Most of the houses are very neat and well-cared for.
We rested up and got back on the road on Wednesday. Tonight we're just south of Louisville, KY, at a place called Grandma's RV Park. It's laid out very nicely, and I'm hearing some road noise, so it may be an earplug night, or perhaps we'll put on the rainstorm CD! We went through some rain just prior to arriving here, and got a little bit of water in a couple of the compartments underneath the motor home, but nothing serious. We're planning on taking off tomorrow morning and hopefully arriving at the Mountaintop Bluegrass Campground in PA tomorrow night. I hear it's hot in Pennsylvania, too!
The little boy in the picture is our nephew, Jesse. Isn't he darling! I just had to put his picture in here, since it was on the memory chip out of my camera. He will be three in November, I believe.
We are soon to become "snowbirds". That means you leave the cold weather in the winter and fly (drive) south, like the birds. Most of you who follow my blog know that we have bought a house in Pennsylvania. It is truly a gem of a house, and we are supposed to take possession of the house on Tuesday. It's exciting, but scary. Since we've been full-time rvers, we have few possessions. So, we have to buy everything from soup to nuts for the house. I'm planning on making a few garage sales in the next few weeks. We already have a couch, chair, mattress, and box springs ordered. I will post pictures of the house when we get moved in. It is about 3 miles outside Butler, which is the county seat. It's on the side of a hill and is hidden from view, except for one glimpse through the trees. It's beautiful there in the summer, with huge green trees and a pleasant deck to sit on and enjoy the birds. When it cools off, there's an awesome finished basement with full bar and beautifully bricked wall, and a freestanding gas fireplace to enjoy Steelers football games. Well, I HOPE we enjoy them this year. The house is actually 4 feet shorter than our motor home, and of course, a bit wider. It's a small house but there's only Gary and me, so I suppose we don't need that much room. The folks we are buying it from are so awesome. They've taken great care of the house and done a lot of redecorating.
I'm taking advantage of the fact that we have good wifi at this campground, and writing in my blog. We no longer have our hughes.net satellite; it bit the dirt. We didn't feel like having someone come out for $125/hr to tell us we needed a new setup, so we got a Verizon air card, or Mifi. We only have 5G/month so I have to be careful about how much internet time I use. That's a real pain. I usually check it every day. Needless to say, I don't download any music and try not to look at any online videos. So, my friends, don't send me any movies unless they're really, really good. Ditto for emails with lots of pictures. Unless, of course, you're showing me your grandchildren. Then you can expect an email back from me with my grandchildren's pictures!
My son and his wife have their first baby, a little boy, born July 13th. His name is Henry Douglas Brown. He's a real cutie and looks a lot like Matt did when he was a baby. I can't wait to see him and hold him.
I think it's about time to end this rambling. More pictures of the house and our newest adventure later!

No comments:

Post a Comment