Monday, April 12, 2010

Wonderful Time in LA












We're getting ready to leave LA tomorrow, heading north toward San Francisco Bay area. We've had a great time here, despite getting our first little boo-boo on the motor home. Friday we took the Sony Pictures tour, since my son works for Imageworks, a division of Sony Pictures. We didn't see one single celebrity, but in all fairness, it was Friday afternoon and I'm sure they like to take off just like everyone else. I was surprised to see how much set-building goes on, and how drab and unattractive the places are where the filming occurs. They're just like big warehouses, and sets and backdrops are manufactured and painted right there on the lot. The picture directly to your left used to be the main entrance to the studio, back when it was Columbia Pictures. The tour guide told us that it was the main entrance to the lot until, it was RUMORED, Joan Crawford's big car got scraped by one of the gates, so it was closed off and another entrance built. Interesting story and maybe true. We saw the house on the lot where she stayed when they were filming one of her pictures, and it is still called the "Joan Crawford House". It was a pretty little bungalow. Next to it was a drab two story apartment building, and that was where the lesser stars stayed, such as Clark Gable, etc. She must have had some kind of power over people back then, but personally I find her disgusting. Maybe it's because I've seen 'Mommie Dearest' and my kids sometimes call me that. LOL. The other pictures were taken on the lot and they're just like walking down main street. I'm sure they film there, too. A lot of the plants you see in the movies are fake, but there are some real plants, and they have people to take care of them, too.
When the tour was over, we had some time to kill before Matt and Alexis got home from work. We stopped at the LA Air Force Base which is pretty close to LA International Airport. There was a commissary and PX there.
When we left there, we drove on down to Manhattan Beach to Matt and Alexis' place. We went to a Cuban restaurant called Versailles (Yes, just like the French word). The food was outrageously delicious and inexpensive (for LA). I could have easily eaten twice the amount I had but I'm still on weight watchers and trying to stop pigging out.
The next day dawned gray and cloudy, and fog and clouds were forecast all day. We went down to the beach and walked up and down the beach. I couldn't believe how smooth the sand felt. As you can see, I let the surf get a little to close to me, and got my pants legs wet! It looks cold but really wasn't bad. We went down to the pier, which had a restaurant and aquarium (free entrance but donation requested). Saw some interesting fish, then headed back for a lovely lunch of quesadillas made with soy chorizo. Now before you go YECH! let me tell you that it tasted just like chorizo, which is a VERY greasy Mexican sausage. Alexis and Matt are genius cooks! So we had a nice light lunch.
Now for my favorite part...after lunch, the sun came out. We grabbed blankets, sunglasses, sunscreen, etc., and went down to the beach. All four of us just laid down and listened to the surf. The sun and the sand were warm but there was a cool breeze blowing. It was so peaceful and relaxing that I almost went to sleep. Every once in a while, we'd sit up to look at the beautiful waves breaking. There were a few surfers out. Matt didn't get in the water. Gary took the picture of Matt contemplating the surf, and it's one of my favorite pictures of him. The first picture is, of course, me, Matt, and Alexis. I will never forget the peace and quiet just laying there enjoying the sound of the waves. Until a couple of "valley girls" came by yakking. I'm dating myself, aren't I? Remember Valley Girls? They still talk like that.
For dinner, Matt grilled some fabulous pork tenderloins that Alexis had marinated. We also had poblano peppers stuffed with mozzarella cheese and adobo sauce. Alexis and I chopped vegetables for some fresh pico de gallo. I think we could have opened our own restaurant! The tenderloin just melted in your mouth. It was SO GOOD! They also had some corn, from a can, called "Summer Crisp" which was the best canned corn I've ever had. Like I said, they are genius cooks!
We reluctantly left on Saturday night but had to realize that Matt and Alexis both work, so they needed a little time to unwind and relax and not have to worry about entertaining someone. Sunday was my birthday, and we went to see my friend Kathy and her husband, Jerry. They graciously took us out for dinner and what a great meal I had! I don't like fish but we went to a fish place and I had blackened tilapia. Was it ever good! Not fishy at all. I figured I'd gained about 3 lbs. at least, but this morning when I got up, I was down another pound! Yessssss! I got some summer clothes out this morning, and most of them still fit me, although I can tell they're getting looser and I'm not "melted and poured" into some of them like I was before.
So tomorrow's the big day we take off out of here. We'll be headed up toward San Francisco and hopefully have more pictures and more on our adventures!



No comments:

Post a Comment