Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cooler weather!


























































We left Georgetown, TX, on Thursday and arrived here at Mayhill, NM, yesterday about 1:30 pm. Although it had been blistering hot in central Texas, we were blessed with cloudy weather almost the whole trip. We enjoyed traveling through the beautiful hill country of Texas where the rain has been more plentiful. The gently rolling hills gave way to flat "crop country" toward San Angelo, with miles and miles of cotton, corn, milo, and sudan. We noticed many oil wells along the way. We spent the night at an RV park off I-20 in Big Spring, TX, and enjoyed having 50 amp hookups where we could run both air conditioners and anything else without worry of popping the breakers.

We woke up bright and early the next morning, bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to get on the road again. Texas roads are FRIENDLY. They are smooth and straight, for the most part. I even drove the motor home for the first time, about 20 miles. I found the MH much easier to drive than our one-ton Dodge Ram truck. Of course, I didn't have to make any turns.

The diversity in the landscapes of Texas is fascinating. We would go through areas of crops, punctuated with pumping oil wells, and suddenly the landscape would change to scrub mesquite and cacti, with no discernible crops, and then back to the miles and miles of crops. Everything was green, however. Texas counties have county seats with ornate courthouses. I am attaching a picture of the courthouse in Brady, TX. Also, the two dogs in the back of the pickup truck is a common sight in Texas. Out in west Texas, there are many of the wind turbines which take advantage of the usually constant winds. I snapped a picture of one of them, but there are many clustered together. We have seen the wind propellers being shipped on trucks, and they are unbelievably HUGE.

Throughout the trip, we were gradually climbing. Our GPS revealed the feet above sea level. We were able to tell by our onboard mileage calculator that something was different...our mpg had fallen from the usual 8.3 mpg to 7+ mpg. Well, remember, we weigh 32,000 lbs and are towing a small car!

After we got to New Mexico, we began to travel through the foothills of the Rockies. Our cell phone service became "iffy", and there were more hills and curves, which became more and more pronounced. The hills became higher and the road continued to be curvy. I tried to snap pictures out the front window, but soon gave up so I could simply enjoy what I was seeing. We could feel the changes in temperature as we climbed higher. I think I am a mountain person!

We arrived at the campground (pictures attached) about 1:30 pm, as I said, and when we got everything set up, went up to the next campground to see our friends, Larry and June.

We couldn't talk fast enough to get caught up on the last three years that we've missed together, and after a delicious hamburger at a tiny cafe in the little "village", if you will, more like a crossroads, went back to their RV park where I enjoyed TRYING to play the banjo in a jam session...my first! I soon learned that I should just try to chord and stay up with the guys who were playing.

We came back to our RV with opened windows, NO air conditioning needed, and fell into bed. In the morning when we awakened, the temperature was 54 degrees! A far cry from 80 degrees in Georgetown in the mornings, I might say.

OK, I admit it... I can't find out how to place the pictures in my blog! I hope you can make sense of the pictures I have posted. The first pictures are the most recent.
More later!

























No comments:

Post a Comment