Monday, August 17, 2009

Daily Walk (Hike)






















Hi, all, we've been doing some walking/hiking down the road and on a side road, up onto the mountain. It was probably about 1/2 mile of climbing. The first picture is a view from the road where we turned back. We scared up a huge doe (compared to central Texas deer!) but weren't able to see if she was a whitetail or mule deer. The second picture is looking down the valley and the little stream you see is the "Rio Penasco". It is shallow at this point but the water is swift. I couldn't resist taking pictures of some wildflowers and unfortunately, these are the only ones that came out. (Gary took them). The final picture is a pool at the RV park with spring water running into it, and there's a patio above it, where I took the picture. It is very restful to sit there and listen to the water flowing into the pool (not for swimming, though). I thought the rose was a pretty color and got a snap of it.
We have made some acquaintances here in the RV park. We got to talking to one lovely, talented lady named Arlene and discovered she has roots in Wynnewood, OK, (where I was born) and Joy, OK, where my mom went to school. I recall hearing the last name of her grandfather and we had lots of "down home" talking to do. It really is a small world. She plays several instruments, including a bowed psaltery and a hammered dulcimer. I will try to get some pictures later of them. I can't begin to describe the sounds made by these instruments. I was fortunate enough to get to play the bowed psaltery and it was SO much fun. Oops, I think I'm getting the bug! Again!
Yesterday, we attended church services here in the RV park, outdoors, under a huge, shady tree, with the roar of the Rio Penasco falls in the background and hummingbirds whirring all around. Arlene played the hammered dulcimer, and another lady (Betty) played the bowed psaltery. It was impressive and just couldn't have been a more picture-perfect setting for a beautiful church service. We are definitely gonna miss this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment