Wednesday, March 17, 2010

City of Rocks pictures













We arrived in Ft. Huachuca, AZ, today about noon. Gary got our satellite dish for internet set up, so I am finally able to download the pictures of City of Rocks, a New Mexico State Park located about 40 miles northwest of Deming, NM. These rocks are located in some rolling foothills and rise up from the desert floor, having been formed by wind and water over the ages. A volcano erupted eons ago and caused these formations...don't ask me how!
I'll bet the old west outlaws used these rocks as hiding places. However, they are easy to climb around, as I can attest, since I dislike climbing on rocks VERY MUCH. We had a sunny day but the wind was strong and cold, temperature was about 54 degrees. We kept exploring the rocks and when we came to the end, we found a trail which circled the entire area. We walked that trail to get back to our car, since people and children were starting to arrive in the park by droves and I like to enjoy the beauties of nature without seeing people. Guess I'm a nature snob? There were picnic tables and BBQ grills all over the place, and a very neat campground.
We took lots of pictures, and unfortunately, I am limited to the number I can put on my blog, which is five.
By the way, we did not go to Columbus, NM, to Pancho Villa State Park as we had planned. We found that our friends, Jim and Gwen, had left earlier this month, and we were not too keen on seeing Pancho Villa's digs. So we decided to go to City of Rocks, and I am really glad we went there.
Fort Huachuca is in southern Arizona near the Mexican border. It is nestled against snow- capped mountains, and I vow to you that I will take some pictures and put them on the next blog. We will be here for 4 days. As soon as we drove up, we were spotted by a roadrunner. He came very close and examined our RV and us, and did not seem to be at all afraid. I have a feeling people have been feeding him. Too bad I was too busy to get some pictures, but I'm sure he will be around tomorrow. The campground is very quiet and is a long way from highway noise. I am SO looking forward to not hearing the interstate and rail lines tonight.
Wow, diet's going great. I have lost 12 lbs. after 5 weeks. I am getting used to eating this way and am very encouraged by my progress. I really like the Weight Watchers because it is flexible. I get lots of food that I consider "treats". We have fallen in love with almond milk. I don't like the taste of milk at all, but I absolutely love this stuff. Unfortunately, it is sweetened with evaporated cane juice, although an 8 oz. glass only has 60 calories, vs. 90 calories for skim milk. It has calcium, vitamins D and E added. The vanilla flavor is very sweet and tastes like chocolate milk (well, okay, WHITE chocolate milk). I REALLY love it! I accidentally picked it up the first time I bought it, and were we ever surprised.
Well, I will close my ramblings for now. We're looking forward to exploring and getting some pix of this area.



No comments:

Post a Comment