Monday, March 15, 2010

Deming, NM

Because we have a limited amount of internet connectivity here, I can't put any pictures on the blog, but I will let you know what's been going on. The area around here is very flat but about 4300 feet above sea level. To our south are some mountains with a small amount of snow at the peaks. There are very few trees here, and the ones you see have been planted and cultivated. Talk about sand in the desert! It is very sandy here. The vegetation is sparse.
To our south are located several dairy farms. Did I say HUGE! I'll bet that's a big job, milking all those cows. Makes the 28 cows we used to milk seem puny. Ours were practically pets, and seemed to recognize their names, but this operation has to be impersonal.
We have to come up a 3 mile dirt road to get to the RV park. The back of our RV was so dusty you couldn't tell what color it was! (Diesel pushers blow exhaust straight down so it kicks up lots of dust).
On Saturday, we went to the Rock Hound show at the fairgrounds. It was huge with many vendors and exhibits. There was every kind of raw rock plus cut and polished stones, set in every imaginable setting. I bought a couple of pairs of earrings and matching stones for a necklace. We are planning on going to the Rock Hound State Park, but after seeing the exhibits, I realized that I don't have the knowledge or the equipment to even make anything. We'll probably go anyway, just to see what it's all about.
Our skies are cloudy today and there's snow falling north of here. We're supposed to get some rain but I seriously doubt it. It has been terribly windy the last two days. We went out to do our walking yesterday, and there was a spring in my step as the wind was to our backs. However, different story when we turned around to come back. As Gary said, it was like walking into a hurricaine! I felt like I had walked uphill the entire way back.
Weight Watchers Online is going great and I'm getting used to it. I've now lost 12 pounds since I started on Feb. 9th. We have discovered the MOST DELICIOUS DRINK. It's almond milk! I don't like milk but this stuff's great. Gary likes it because it doesn't have any cholesterol. It's about a dollar more per half gallon than skim milk. Skim milk has 90 calories per cup, I think, but almond milk has 60 calories per cup. We like to eat it on cereal or drink it. You can get the vanilla almond milk, but it's very sweet and almost tastes like chocolate milk. It's not for young children, though, since there are certain fats they must have for brain and eye development.
That's about all from here. We may go down to Columbus, NM, to Pancho Villa State Park. We met some other volunteers at Seminole Canyon who are there. Hopefully I can sneak some pictures on this site one of these days!

2 comments:

  1. We're following you guys,,,,,but in spirit only. Is that the Hidden Valley RV park you're staying at in Deming? I remember the washboard gravel road getting there. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it was the El Rancho Lobo RV park, with 2 1/2 miles of gravel road. Believe me, we wished we'd gone to the Hidden Valley RV park instead! Too noisy.

    ReplyDelete