Saturday, March 20, 2010

Garden Canyon, Ft. Huachuca, AZ


















We went to Garden Canyon, located in the Coronado National Forest on Ft. Huachuca today, driving toward Miller Peak, 9,466 ft., in the Huachuca Mountains you see in one of these pictures. We drove as far as we dared without having a 4-wheel drive vehicle, then stopped and started hiking. We tried a trail but it was too rocky and steep. Told ya I hate climbing on rocks! So we came back and walked up the road a ways. A stream with rushing water and many waterfalls followed the road. We took many pictures. I can't resist a waterfall! As we walked, we were climbing in elevation, and finally we came to a place where the water was flowing over the road, and I didn't particularly want to get my hiking boots soaked, so we turned around and came back.

Gary had noticed a place on the bluff above the stream that he thought was a cave, so he jumped across the stream and climbed up the rocks to look inside. He said that it looked like it had once been used as a shelter but some rocks had collapsed inside it. He could see smoke smudges from campfires inside. There are Native American pictographs somewhere in the area, but we couldn't find them. We assume it was once used as a shelter by Native Americans. I was having a fit because I didn't want him to fall, but he's such a mountain goat and can climb anything.

What a beautiful area. Fortunately, we didn't see any bears.
I was glad to get home and relax. We bought an Oster Toaster Oven today and I wanted to try it out on a pizza. Yes, it's reduced calorie...Boboli whole wheat thin crust, turkey pepperoni, skim milk mozzarella, and Contadina Pizza Sauce. I can have 1/6th of the pie. Yum! I haven't had pizza in a long time.
We're leaving tomorrow. I have to say that I have traveled I-10 many times but never realized how beautiful this area is.
More later!





No comments:

Post a Comment