Monday, March 22, 2010

John Wayne RV Ranch







We are currently at the John Wayne RV Ranch, Stanfield, AZ, for a couple of days. It's a very pretty, warm day. Sometimes looks can be deceiving, however. There is a slight east breeze blowing...which wafts the odor of huge feed lots about a mile from here to the entire campground area. Hence we have the air conditioner on, are burning candles, incense and the Scentsy plug-in that Caitlin gave me for Christmas! Hope the wind starts blowing from the west soon.
We took our walk today and noticed some land behind the RV park. After receiving permission from the campground manager, we began to explore the area. That is where the saguaro cacti in the above pictures are located. These things are huge, as you can see by the picture of Gary beside the gnarly one. You can also see holes in the cacti where birds have made their nests. We also found some pretty rocks (small) that we collected. While we were walking toward the furthest cactus, I noticed a single bluebonnet...guess it's the only one I'll get to see this year. Unfortunately, I didn't speak up until later, and on the way back we couldn't find it to take a picture. Reminds me that opportunities can be lost at a moment's notice.
As we walked along the trail, I began to notice articles of clothing discarded along a little ditch. Later I noticed an empty milk jug, and a strap that looked like it came off some kind of tote bag. We realized that illegals probably use the area as a thoroughfare, discarding clothing, other objects, and their water containers as they became empty. Kind of scary. It was mid-day when we were there and we didn't see a soul.
We'll be leaving on Tuesday to go see our friends Larry and June for a couple of days. I went to school with both of them. We're looking forward to relaxing on the patio and doing some pickin'. Larry plays guitar, mandolin, and harmonica. I need to stop this and go practice my banjo!
More later....



3 comments:

  1. Hey, Judy,,,,,,I read on the internet recently about a couple guys that were abusing one of those cactus out there,,,,shooting it up with a shotgun,,,,when he wasn't looking,,,,it fell over and killed him. I don't know if it was urban legend or it actually happened. Justice for the cactus tho. Looks like you're having a good time. Wish we could be there....just gotta win the lottery and upgrade to the 5'er we're dreaming about. Have fun. Love, Jim and Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking for Stanfield on the map, but can't find it. What part of AZ are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops,,,nevermind,,,,,I found it. We drove right by it last summer on our way to the northwest....kinda right in the arch between IH 8 and IH 10. We're so jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete